Sunday, September 13, 2009

This is Just to Say

Here's a review of my favorite poetry book since I started reading Beehive Nominations for 2010.

This is Just to Say: Poems of Apology and Forgiveness This is Just to Say: Poems of Apology and Forgiveness by Joyce Sidman


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book of poetry was my favorite so far! The poems in this book were written by 6th graders and their teacher. The first half of the book is poems of apology--the students wrote poems to someone they hurt about what they did to hurt that person. Some are funny, and some are heart wrenching. Many show an incredible depth and maturity, especially given the young age of the authors. The second half of the book is poems of forgiveness, written by the people the first group of poems were written to. There are a couple of poems with strong language, but overall, this book really impressed me and makes me want to teach a poetry writing class!

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. I love this book! I think the brownie poem might just be my favorite - and its "response" poem.

    ReplyDelete