Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Where the Mountain Meets the MoonWhere the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I liked this book a lot. Lin's previous books have been fun as well, but I found this one particularly good and meaningful. I love the influence of ancestral stories, and the pervasive culture in this book. I also love the way this book taught a lesson--to be happy and find peace with what you have--without being too heavy handed or sappy. It would have been very easy to be sappy and heavy handed with this message, but the main character sees the message with a quiet acceptance and selflessness, so it is as easy to accept as a beautiful sunrise. It just happens, and we are glad. I used this in the library during "dragon" week, and we read the chapter containing "Dragon's Story."



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment