Thursday, January 28, 2010

Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I really enjoyed reading this book! Riordan has a great grasp on all the things I find most important in a novel--compelling, layered characters, conflict and lots of opportunities for the main character to make choices that will change his future. This book has been made into a film that will release in February. My greatest fear is that this book will be overly compared to Harry Potter. (Young man discovers that he has unusual powers, goes to a place where similar children gather and are protected by adults who know more about that young man than he does, then fights a great battle against people much more powerful than him and finds out who his friends really are.) The reason I hope there won't be too much comparison is that this book is good in its own right, and Riordan is a good author in his own right. Let's face it, Harry Potter changed literature for this generation, and it will be hard to find a best-selling sci-fi/fantasy children's series without comparing it to Harry Potter.

There were a few things I wish Riordan had amped up, but I don't want to write about them because I want this book to be read!

View all my reviews >>


For more information about the Percy Jackson series, go to Rick Riordan's website.

For more information about the upcoming film, visit IMDB, where you can see trailers and read about the film's rating, cast, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment